11/16/08

Haiti.

We got back from our trip yesterday, and I've since been to church, unpacked my bags, started the laundry, blown the fall leaves off the drive way and back deck, changed the header of my blog, responded to some emails, messed around on Facebook/Twitter, and paid some bills.

I've been thinking about this post the whole time. Not really this post, but the trip. This post is just where I'm going to unload what I think you need to hear about the trip.

So hear it goes:

I don't know what to write.

We saw unbelievable things. We saw amazing things. We saw horrible things. We saw God in the face of the children. We saw hope. We saw despair. We saw alot of trash.

I rode in the back of a truck an entire day as we traveled, and we drove through an endless sea of people on the street who live with nothing, who's lives we're trashed and ripped apart by 4 consecutive hurricanes, who's children were dying, who's next meal isn't certain.

I ate goat, fish, shrimp, rice, rice, rice, soup, goat, rice, chicken, rice. Also, I got introduced to Fruit Champagne, a drink that taste exactly like cream-soda mixed with generic cherry cough syrup.

The trash was everywhere; mountains of it, rivers of it.

The children were beautiful.

I could go on and on and on about Compassion International. I am passionate about a few things, and Compassion is one of them. You know that. I've blogged about that before. Here's a link to a past post about Compassion. (That's my old blog).

I will, however reuse one thing:
Compassion is the real deal. If you don’t sponsor, you missing, losing, and failing all at the same time.

This post doesn't do justice to the things I learned. And I'm not too sure the English language can.

Holla. Here's a link to sponsor, if your interested.

3 comments:

Shaun Groves said...

Hey, man, I've seen what Compassion is doing in five countries so far. And every time I come home I feel like I need a dozen languages to possibly explain the pain and hope I've seen.

I totally understand where you're coming from. If you ever need a thing from Compassion (or just want to "talk" someone who's seen what you've seen too), drop me a line. I'm here to serve you in any way I can.

Thanks for blogging about Compassion. (Linking to Compassion.com in this post would probably get some kids sponsored over the years.)

-Shaun Groves
CompassionBloggers.com

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post taylor...you sir are the blog of the day!

Andrea said...

Great Post! I put a word in about Haiti in my own blog yesterday.

I look forward to having my own chance to see Compassion at work, up close and personal.

~Andrea