2/12/09

Compassion Kenya - 1

We spent our first full day in Kenya today. Here's a bullet point list of what we did:
- Toured the Compassion Kenya country office
- Met the country director and alot of other people who are changing the world
- Ate at an Italian food restaurant - I had red snapper
- Visited a Compassion project in a rural area
- Visited the home of Compassion child (11 years old) and her mother, both of which are infected with HIV/AIDS
- Gained some real perspective about HIV/AIDS
    - Was convicted about how apathetic I've been thus far in my life towards HIV/AIDS
    - Committed to at least begin praying for those infected with HIV/AIDS on a regular basis
- Ate dinner with 6 graduates from Compassion's Leadership Development Program.
    - Was reminded how transforming the work of Compassion is for the ump-teenth time
- Wrote this blog

Now, part two of these Kenya posts:
I'm going to attempt to explain each of the 4 types of poverty that Compassion is attacking in 100 words or less. For tonight I'll start with the easiest one, PHYSICAL POVERTY.

Physical poverty is the image you see in your mind when you think of poverty. It’s malnourished, bloated tummies, drinking unclean water, no shoes, no clothes, no shelter, and no modern medicine. It is the result of having no money. Physical poverty brings with it hunger, sickness, and pain. It is the easiest form of poverty to prevent, obviously by giving food, water, shelter, and medicine. Compassion International gives those exact things to over one million children who are in their program all over the world.

Here's Eric's best 8 from today.
I am wholeheartedly convinced that the only reason individual Christians, and entire church congregations aren't involved with Compassion International is because they are un-aware or mislead about exactly what they do. Compassion is the most transforming ministry/organization I have ever heard of. 

1 comment:

Brianne Michelle said...

Hi Taylor, I work for Compassion with Chris on the web team. First of all - I am eager (almost impatient) to see what you all come back with for LDP! The photos I have seen so far (amazing) and your all’s posts have completely drawn me in. I am grateful for what you said about HIV and making a commitment to begin praying for those infected. I’m taking that as a challenge for my own life.

Thanks again for what you’re doing, for your passion for releasing children from poverty and being led by the Lord.