11/6/09

The Men Who Stare at Goats - Movie Review

T5, Josh, and I went to see this tonight. Here's my review:

This movie was ok, almost good, defiantly not great. Mark this one up on the list of comedies that if you see the trailer, you've seen 90% of the funniest parts. The other 10% are the funny parts with cuss words in them. You see.

The performances were good, but what would you expect from this cast. These guys are basically playing beefed up versions of characters they mastered previously. Spacy, the pensive joke waiting in the wings (Superman). Bridges, the hippy drugie (The Big Lebowski). Clooney, the hero with weird ticks (Oh Brother Where Art Thou), and Ewan McGregor, the innocent, bugg eyed co-hero wishing he life was more interesting than it is (Big Fish). All of these actors are better in the films that inspired the casting director to put their names on the poster. More over, all of the previously mentioned films are better than this movie.

There are plenty of "in between the lines" Jedi jokes around Ewan McGregor. I get it, not funny.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are some funny parts to this movie. Really funny, but most of them are centered around drug jokes. I like drug jokes, and most of the time these jokes are always funny, but I feel like the film maker wanted this movie to be a "thinker," and I just caught my self waiting for Cheech and Chong to come out and make their cameos.

The ending is ho-hum and spoon fed to the audience.

Predictable. Entertaining. Less than I expected.

3.5 stars out of 5.

Ok.

I'll probably never watch it again.

What did you think of the movie? of my review?

No comments: