4/7/08

Poetry

I was listening to A Prairie Home Companion this past weekend, and I realized something about my self. Either I don't get modern poetry, or modern poetry sucks. Now I understand the broad sweeping generalization I just made, and I'm happy to stand by it. You just need to let me explain. Garrison Keillor loves poetry.

I'm talking about the nothing rhymes, on and on and on, where are we going, kind of poetry. Google T.S. Elliot's "The Wasteland" and give it a read. If you like it - good for you. For me, no thanks. Every so often you get a hint as to where the poem is leading, then you're plunged back into a deep ocean of nonsense. 

Please, if you can, comment to this post with the reasons you like modern (or post modern, or post, post modern) poetry. Please don't give me anything about song lyrics, or old Shel Silverstein - I like that poetry. Including Shakespeare in your argument will not help.

I will end this post with two of my favorite poems.

Pointy Birds

Pointy birds
Pointy, pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy, nointy

From the Steve Martin movie - The Man With Two Brains

Hat - Shel Silverstein

Teddy said it was a hat
So I put it on.
Now dad is saying,
"Where the heck's
the toilet plunger gone?"

3 comments:

Jared said...

I love T.S. Eliot.

You should read "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Brilliant.

I'll put you on my blogroll.

Erin said...

Ugh. I am so glad someone else hates The Wasteland as much as I do. I want to set it on fire. I leave you with my favorite poem, also by shel silverstein (the children's poet that looks like a pedophile):
If you have to dry the dishes,
such an awful boring chore.
If you have to dry the dishes,
'stead of goin' to the store,
If you have to dry the dishes,
and you drop them on the floor,
Maybe they won't make you dry the dishes anymore.

Jared said...

By the way, Blogger sucks. Wordpress is way more powerful and there are billions of themes you can download. Of course, to really use it well, you'd need to buy your own domain.