5/3/08

Joke's On You

I was first introduced to Andy Kaufman my freshman year of college. I'd never heard of the guy before. All I knew was that Jim Carrey had been cast to play Kaufman in the up coming movie Man On The Moon. My roommate Jared knew a little about him, I think, cause he loved REM. The only two things Jared and I watched in our dorm room were pro-wrestling and Comedy Central. Piggy backing the hype of the movie, Comedy Central had a Andy Kaufman special that Jared and I watched for the first time very earl/late one night when we should have been sleeping or studying or whatever. Anyways...

Last night Travis and I watched a few Andy Kaufman clips on YouTube. After Travis left, I sat back down and watched more and more and more and more. I was reminded how much I like the guy. 

All day today I've been thinking about why, exactly, I like him and his humor so much. I think it's cause he did what ever he wanted to do. Literally, show-biz was this guys playground, and he never even considered playing by the rules. I bet there are alot of people out there who hated him. He was mean. He was ridiculous. It never seemed that he even cared weather or not other people thought he was funny. It's like he was doing his comedy for just himself. And sometimes people thought he was funny. Maybe he was a little crazy, but I think he kind of had to be a little crazy do be as funny as he was. 

Here's a few videos of him preforming. I'm well aware that this post doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of why he was so popular, or why he did the things that he did. I don't think I've come up with any conclusions yet. I'm just fascinated by this guy. He was fantastic.






I wish I could do that kind of stuff.

2 comments:

Jared E Wright said...

that was also the same time we three first discovered Southpark. lee has never been the same since. :-)

Erin said...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1377/saturday-night-live-andy-kaufmans-foreign-man#s-p60-st-i0