9/11/09

Gilmore Girls

My wife loves Gilmore Girls. I, on the other hand, do not. For those of you who are lucky enough to not know what GG is, it's a TV show.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that I don't know the names of all the main characters, or the basic plot line through the 7 season series. Actually, it's my knowledge of GG that insures me that they just aren't my cup of tea.

The dialog is comprised of one run on sentence right after another as if they're speed talking. This technique is supposed to make the characters seem more whitty, and it's also supposed to make us believe the writers are really smart. There not fooling me.

The characters are idiots, but this argument is bogus simply because ALL characters on ALL TV shows are idiots. But Loreli and Rorie (or however you spell their unbelievably, predictably, ironic names) remind me more of robots programed to be idiots than cute innocent women struggling to find their "place in this world."

I understand completely why Tiff loves GG. It's simple, really. She escapes to Starshollow (the town the show's based in). It's a very simple town. Nice (looking) people, nice businesses, simple problems, strong women, predicable men, and a mother daughter duo that would make any body wish they were a teenage girl in high school with a super cool mom who owns a bed and breakfast.

But, Tiffany doesn't admire Rorie. In fact, I'd bet a hundred dollars that if Rorie died and got replaced by a llama named Tina, she'd still love the show. Tiffany adores, Loreli, the mother. She owns a quaint bed and breakfast. She strives for excellence in the simplest of endeavors. She is always, ALWAYS, is a great friend/mom to her friends/daughter. She is Tiffany.

I don't like watching the show, but I actually love the fact that Tiffany obsesses over it. If I could provide a life for Tiffany where she got to live in such a world, I would do it at all cost.

1 comment:

Michael and Jana said...

LOVE GILMORE GIRLS! Tiffany has got it right.