9/27/09

Pandora and Football



Dogs are for sure man's best friend, and Pandora is a solid second.

Right now I'm on the computer trying to write, and I've been introduced to songs I've never heard by bands I would have never given a chance to, and songs I love by bands I adore. They are as follows:

- Ode to LRC - by Band of Horses
- Freedom Hangs Like Heaven - by Iron and Wine
- Into the Woods - My Morning Jacket
- The World at Large - Modest Mouse
- The Way That He Sings - My Morning Jacket
- Hang Me Up To Dry - Cold War Kids
- Island on the Coast - Band of Horses
- Gagging Order - Radio Head
- Just Couldn't Tie Me Down - The Black Keys
- Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground - White Stripes
- Spread Your Love - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

I have created a list of the greatest Pandora stations in the world. These songs came from either my My Morning Jacket station or my Eagles of Death Metal station.

Here is a list of bands who's albums I will buy because of this experience:
- Band of Horses
- Cold War Kids
-------------------------------------------------------
On a second note:

How can football be so important to some people. It's as if it's the only thing some people think about this time of year.........If what I just wrote in anyway made you mad, or think I'm stupid for asking......You're probably one of the people I'm talking about.


Jerry Jones spent 1.2 BILLION dollars on the new Cowboy's Stadium. ONE POINT TWO BILLION DOLLARS....I cannot support that...AND if you're tuning in to the games every week, or buying those stupid flags to hang out your car window, you ARE supporting it.

What? "You didn't spend 1.2 billion." Stop fooling yourself.

This country has a SICK obsession with games. This country has a sick obsession with alot of things.

Go ahead, I dare you to compare the top of this post about my loving music with other's love of football...I'm not saying you can't enjoying something that's pointless, I am saying you/we can take pointless things way too far....and right now football is numero uno for alot of people I know.

What are we worshiping?
Yuk.
........
Oh yeah, and don't fool yourself into thinking that college football is any better because the kids aren't getting paid. I doubt that really, but even if their not paid, that's even worse. The schools are pimping out those kids and their abilities and making a bagillion dollars off of them. Sure they get a college education out of it for free, but so do the calculus wizards in the math department who show lots of promise...Those football players deserve something for the buckets of money they make the schools. I guess they are getting something, but compared to the calculus wizards the football players are getting screwed.

8 comments:

shaneXetheredge said...

This is the most pretentious, idiotic thing I've ever heard you say. Not the Pandora part, Pandora is fine. You sound like the pale, skinny goth kid in every high school in America who hates the jocks. I hate that kid.

The movie industry (of which I know you to be an ardent supporter) for the past 6 or 7 years has made over $9 billion a year. How are they any more innocent in this tiny, little - incredibly narrow perspective of yours? Because they make "art"? I saw Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs has made $60 million in the last 2 weeks so that should really help society in general.

As far as sports being pointless, I doubt if you'd be able to find much of anything that unites people of all walks of life like supporting a sports franchise does. Religion sure doesn't do it, for God's sake people can't even agree to love the country they live in. But when you go to Fenway Park, or Browns Stadium, or the Swamp, you're among friends and you're there for a unified purpose. Maybe it's silly, and yeah - there are people who go way overboard with it, but it works.

A billion dollars is a lot to spend on a stadium, I'll give you that - but when somebody "spends money" on something like a stadium, it means they dumped money into the community and therefor into the local and national economies.How many jobs did the building of that stadium create for pavers and masons and steelworkers and decorators and architects and plastics companies and laborers and landscapers? How many sustainable, every day jobs does it create for the city of Dallas year-round? So yeah, "go Capitalism", it's valid and it works.

Of course there are people that take it way too seriously, and those people drive me just as crazy as they drive you, but to dismiss it out of hand is just stupid, and if that's what people want to identify with, fine. I guarantee you that you spend drastically more in a year on your media package cell phone plan than I've ever spent in any given year on all sporting events combined. And why? So you can change the world by posting pictures of nasty carnival food onto your Twitter?

Boy, keep it up. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

Taylor said...

I've read it twice, and don't disagree with anything you said. Probably sensationalized a bit. Toshay! Still don't get the facination, and hate it when people take it too far.

shaneXetheredge said...

Sensationalized? SENSATIONALIZED?!?!?!

Me? Of all people, me???

How dare you sir? You make me want to leap, burning, from a skyscraper into a kiddy pool of lamp oil.

Drew Francis said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV7gpxnl79E&feature=related

you just don't know football

Ben said...

Shane, I find it interesting you go off on this, and then you say that the International Space Station is a waste of money....

All the while, you have no clue what science and breathroughs have come from the science done on the ISS. Or the amount of people (jobs) it took to make it possible.

We as humans, spend a lot of money on meaningless things, but one thing is for sure. Football and movies will never create a cure for anything.

Ben said...

22 different technology demonstrations; 33 physical science experiments; 27 biological experiments; 32 experiments focused on the human body; Earth observations and educational activities. In addition to science important to long-duration human spaceflights, most findings also offer new understanding of methods or applications relevant to life on Earth.

It is worth it.

shaneXetheredge said...

I know all that. I know every bit of that, word for word.

None of that stuff could have been done on the ground?

belgardc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.